What Is Binance Coin (BNB)?
Launched in July 2017, Binance is the biggest cryptocurrency exchange globally based on daily trading volume. Binance aims to bring cryptocurrency exchanges to the forefront of financial activity globally. The idea behind Binance’s name is to show this new paradigm in global finance — Binary Finance, or Binance.
Aside from being the largest cryptocurrency exchange globally, Binance has launched a whole ecosystem of functionalities for its users. The Binance network includes the Binance Chain, Binance Smart Chain, Binance Academy, Trust Wallet and Research projects, which all employ the powers of blockchain technology to bring new-age finance to the world. Binance Coin is an integral part of the successful functioning of many of the Binance sub-projects.
Who Are the Founders of Binance Coin?
Changpeng Zhao is the founder and CEO of Binance. In 2001, Zhao joined Bloomberg as head of tradebook futures development. He spent four years with the company and later joined Fusion Systems as a partner.
Since 2013, Changpeng Zhao has been actively involved with blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies. He became head of development at Blockchain, and in 2015 he founded BijieTech. In 2017, Zhao officially launched Binance, and he has been the CEO of the company ever since.
He Yi is a co-founder and chief marketing officer at Binance. She started her career as a TV anchor and presenter on China Travel TV in 2012. Later, in 2014, Yi co-founded OKCoin, which was the largest fiat-to-crypto exchange in China at the time. In 2017, she joined forces with Changpeng Zhao, and together they created the largest crypto exchange globally — Binance.
What Makes Binance Coin Unique?
Binance is a unique ecosystem of decentralized, blockchain-based networks. The company has grown to be the leading crypto exchange in a number of countries, and their side organizations are attracting significant interest as well.
One of the biggest competitive advantages Binance has is its drive for development. While the company started only as a crypto exchange back in 2017, today, Binance has spread its services among numerous different spheres. According to the company website, its mission is to become the infrastructure services provider for the entire blockchain ecosystem.
Since launching the Binance Coin, the exchange has also benefited from increased investor interest in the token. BNB went through a significant price increase at the beginning of 2021, which has put it on the map of enterprise investors.
Primary features of Binance
- Enhance exchange: Binance coin is anticipated to enhance exchange
- Multi-functioning: It allows users to pay for other services on the Binance Exchange, including trading fees, exchange fees, listing costs, and any other expenses.
- Good competitor: Binance coin has given tough competition to large cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
Pros & Cons of Binance coin
- Best utility token: As of 2021, the BnB coin is regarded as one of the most helpful utility tokens available in the crypto world.
- Unique burndown policy: BnB’s development and stability depend on its capacity to burn.
- Binance users enjoy savings while paying fees on the exchange, which is one of the primary advantages of investing in BnB.
- Heavily centralized: The coin is controlled and maintained by Binance which is a centralized cryptocurrency exchange.
- Binance has been a target of authorities for years, and it appears like 2021 might be the year.
How Is the Binance Coin Network Secured?
Initially, the Binance coin started as a traditional ERC-20 token on the Ethereum blockchain. Later on, the company introduced its own blockchain, and the coins started being issued from the Binance blockchain, secured by the Tendermint byzantine-fault-tolerant (BFT) consensus mechanism.
While ERC-20 tokens rely on the proof-of-stake (PoS) consensus, which allows them to be extremely scalable, and allows for the creation of smart contracts. Unlike PoS, the Binance blockchain does not support smart contract functionalities. In contrast, the Bitcoin blockchain is secured by the proof-of-work (PoW) consensus, which is far more limited and consumes large amounts of electrical and computing power.